Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Never a Dull Moment in the Torres Household...

My day yesterday was the definition of adventure. Melissa and I (and Emily, Riley and Ruka)took a little road trip up to the Quarter Horse Museum in Amarillo. Great museum, by the way, and I have been wanting to go for years. The dogs had to wait in the car, but Melissa and I enjoyed it.







Then it was back towards Lubbock with a stop at Palo Duro, near Canyon, Texas. For all of you living in Lubbock who are looking for a good place to hike, I think we found a pretty good one. The canyon itself is beautiful...as is the two longhorns standing in a pasture at the entrance. Funny story about these two, when we drove by the first time, Melissa made a comment about how they had such a good life because all they did was stand there. I noticed that they weren't moving an inch (except for their tails blowing in the wind) and I swore up and down that they were not real. I almost had her convinced, but when we drove back out, they had moved. I guess they are just really good at standing very still.





At any rate, we hiked the lighthouse trail which is 5.75 miles round trip. It was a nice hike and the dogs were just thrilled to go on such a fun walk.


When we got home, I was so excited to find out that all of David's wiring and other stuff for the installation of the TV had arrived. Matt and Raquel headed over to help us with this project. Matt and David were busy getting the outlets ready and running the wires through the wall. This required David to go up in the attic and feed wires back down through the hole. Raquel and Melissa were sitting at the table during all this and I was cutting my strawberry dessert that I was so proud of. All of a sudden David's foot came falling through the ceiling and insulation came raining down all over the kitchen counter...the TV hanging project all of a sudden got much bigger.



Thanks to Raquel's brilliant idea, I found a bucket to temporarily hold up the ceiling to keep the insulation in the attic and off my kitchen counters. We decided, however, that we would texture the bucket, paint it the color of the wall, and call it a pillar. Hmmm. Maybe not.


But at least we finally got the TV up. The consensus was that it looks much better hanging on the wall with all the cords hidden, then it did on the coffee table sitting in front of the fireplace with cords everywhere. I was so nervous about hanging a TV that weighs over 100 lbs up on the wall that as the boys were tightening it down and us girls were holding it in place and it was all secured, I could not let it go. Melissa had to peel my hand off the front of it.
At any rate, we got it done with only minor injuries. David got shocked only three times while working with the electrical outlet, the last time he hit himself in the face so hard that he bent his flexon glasses all out of whack. Good thing Melissa was here to fix them for him. My injury came from stepping on the sawzall, blade side up of course...only a minor gash in the bottom of my foot.
With all this Spring Break stress, the timing couldn't be better for Melissa's and my day at the spa...facials, messages, manicures, pedicures...and I am feeling like a million bucks! Thanks so much to my dear husband for the gift card to the spa. It was a great Christmas present!


"You don't know my name, do you?"
"Yes I do."
"What is it?"
"It, uh, rhymes with a female body part."
"What is it?" "Mulva..."
- Dolores and Jerry, in "The Junior Mints"

1 comment:

Liz Maile said...

Wow. Sounds like fun. I forgot it was your spring break. That is so nice that Melissa got to spend time with you. Love you guys!